Actress of stage and screen, Audra McDonald, has made entertainment history.
Audra McDonald etched her name in the history books by becoming the first African-American actress to win five Tony Awards. McDonald was awarded the Best Actress in a Musical for her role in The Gershwins’ Porgy and Bess. The win came at last night’s Tony Awards ceremony which were broadcasted into millions of homes.
Like us on Facebook!
In a tearful acceptance speech, Audra McDonald recounted her humble beginnings as a little girl with afro puffs and too much energy. She went on to say when she found the theater as a child, she found a home. McDonald made sure to tell her daughter that although she had just won another Tony, the greatest moment of her life was when she gave birth to her.
With McDonald’s historic win, she ties the record held by Angela Lansbury and Julie Harris with most wins by an actress. Audra McDonald’s past wins include Raisin In The Sun, Master Class, and for the musicals Ragtime and Carousel.
- Gay Men Barred From Joining AKA, Inc. Threaten to File Discrimination Lawsuit
- Megachurch Pastor Creflo Dollar Arrested
- Lunch Break Mix! Friday KANYE WEST Birthday Edition 6/08/12
- Chad Ochocinco Cut From The New England Patriots
- Robin Thicke Gets “Tied Up” In New Video