In what could have been a tragic ordeal, the heroic actions of a postal worker helped save the lives of twin baby boys tossed from a burning Bronx apartment. Jermaine Shipley was heading to work Wednesday morning when he smelled smoke at his building, leaping into action to catch the twins who were tossed into his arms by their father.
The dramatic event took place around 7 a.m. yesterday, as Shipley, 30, was heading to Greenwich, Conn., to begin his mail run for the day. After smelling the smoke, Shipley rushed back and got his wife and child to safety before looking for others in need of help. Shipley, a new dad himself, banged on all the doors when he heard the twins’ father, Everdean Codner, screaming for help.
“It was just instincts. They just kicked in right away,” Shirley said to the New York Daily News. “I would want somebody to do the same for me.”
Shipley ran to the back of the building and climbed on the roof of a shed where Codner, 32, was at a fire escape holding his 11-month-old boys Ishmael and Israel. Shipley got into position to catch the boys, who both left the building uninjured. Shipley handed off one of the babies to Codner’s nephew, Euwan Lynch, before jumping down from the shed with the second boy. The Codner family couldn’t have been more grateful.
“Jermaine and my nephew are both heroes. I have to thank them. They’re the best,” Codner said. “We’re here today because of our neighbor’s quick response. It’s the best holiday gift you could ever ask for.”
Amazingly, Codner was not supposed to be home when the blaze took place. He overslept that day and was late for work at a local moving company, and was able to do what he could to gather his wife and children together ahead of the Shipley rescue.
The fire was started by an electrical malfunction on the second floor of the three-story building. Three people suffered minor injuries and the babies are safely back with their parents after a routine examination.
Postal Worker Saves Twin Boys Tossed From Burning Bronx Apartment was originally published on newsone.com