The reality star and budding singer says she simply forgot that her gun was in her purse when she tried to go through security at the Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport last week, according to People magazine.
She told the mag:
“I know that’s really irresponsible on my part, but it was really just an honest mistake. I was at home, rushing to get to the airport, and I was throwing everything in my purse. The gun is really, really small. It looks like a toy gun. It was just at the bottom of my purse. When I went through security check, I was like, ‘Oh, I forgot it was in there.’”
Zonnique, 20, said she pulled the .380 Ruger semi-automatic out of her purse after it showed up in the x-ray machine. She also told the magazine she carries the weapon because she feels it’s important as a young woman to have protection.
“I feel like I definitely have to stay safe — especially with me going around so much by myself,” she said, mentioning the shooting death of The Voice contestant Christina Grimmie. “I’m not usually with anybody or security or anything.”
The gun was purchased legally by her mother, Tiny.
Zonnique said authorities have told her she will likely be given probation and forced to take a course in gun safety if the case goes to court.
SOURCE: People | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
The Way They Were: T.I. & Tiny's Romantic Moments
1. Red Carpet Fab From T.I. And TinySource:Getty 1 of 12
2. T.I. And Tiny Just Chillin' On A SofaSource:Getty 2 of 12
3. T.I. And Tiny Hit The Red CarpetSource:Getty 3 of 12
4. T.I. And TinySource:Getty 4 of 12
5. Classic Blonde Tiny With Handsome T.I.Source:Getty 5 of 12
6. T.I. & Tiny: Classy CoupleSource:Getty 6 of 12
7. The Way They Were: T.I. And TinySource:Getty 7 of 12
8. Tiny Rocks Blue Hair While Snuggled Up To T.I.Source:Getty 8 of 12
9. T.I.'s son, Domani's, 12th Birthday PartySource:Getty 9 of 12
10. Jermaine Dupri's Cafe Dupri Grand Opening in AtlantaSource:Getty 10 of 12
11. 51st annual Grammy AwardsSource:Getty 11 of 12
12. T.I. And Tiny In 2015Source:Getty 12 of 12
Tiny & T.I.’s Daughter Zonnique Speaks Out On Gun Arrest: It Was ‘An Honest Mistake’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com