FBI Director James Comey is heading to Capitol Hill Monday morning to openly refute President Donald Trump‘s claims that the Obama administration wiretapped Trump’s New York office ahead of last November’s election, USA Today reports.
Comey, along with National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers, will testify in front of the House Intelligence Committee beginning at 10 a.m. EST, offering the strongest rebuke of Trump’s claims, first fired off in a series of tweets on March 4.
According to the The New York Times, Comey met with a handful of Democratic and Republican lawmakers in classified meetings to report there was no basis for Trump’s allegations.
Former senior officials in the Obama administration and sitting congressional Democrats have publicly denied Trump’s accusations, along with several GOP leaders.
The White House however has categorically defended Trump, who up until the past week continued to assert the unfounded claims.
During Friday’s meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Trump again lit fire under the accusations by telling Merkel, “As far as wiretapping, I guess by this past (Obama) administration, at least we have something in common, perhaps,” alluding to uncovered reports that intelligence agencies during Obama’s presidency surveyed the German leader’s private communications.
Members of the committee are also expected to press Comey and Rogers for any evidence of Russia’s interference in last year’s election, along with seeking out any connection between Trump’s associates and possible contact with Russian government officials.
Trump continued to argue that the investigation of his ties to Russia was staged to undermine his presidency.
On Monday, ahead of Comey’s congressional appearance, he tweeted the following:
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Comey Expected To Refute Trump’s Wiretapping Claims At First Congressional Hearing was originally published on newsone.com