Following the death of Justine Damond—an unarmed Australian woman who was fatally shot by a Minneapolis police officer on July 15—Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau resigned on Friday, MSN reports.
“I’ve decided I am willing to step aside to let a fresh set of leadership eyes see what more can be done for the MPD to be the very best it can be,” she said in a statement, according to the source.
MSN reported that her decision to step down came after Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges demanded her resignation. Mayor Hodges said she’s “lost confidence in the chief’s ability to lead us further,” adding that residents feel the same way.
“For us to continue to transform policing — and community trust in policing — we need new leadership at MPD,” Hodges added.
The mayor nominated Assistant Chief Medaria Arradondo, a Black man who is a 28-year veteran of the department, for Minneapolis’ next chief.
According to The Hill, on Friday the mayor held a City Hall press conference to provide more context surrounding Harteau’s resignation. However, protesters disrupted the meeting, calling her out about the need for police reform and demanding her resignation. Hodges ended up abruptly leaving the presser.
Harteau made history in Minneapolis by becoming the city’s first woman, Native American, and openly gay police chief. She served on the force since 1987 and took on the role as police chief in 2012. Harteau is no stranger to controversy related to police shootings. In 2015 Jamar Clark, a 24-year-old Black man, was fatally shot by Minneapolis Police.
According to CNN, officer Mohamed Noor, the cop responsible for fatally shooting Damond, has been placed on paid administrative leave. Meanwhile, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating the incident.
31 Black Women Who Died In Police Custody
1. Kathryn Johnston, 92Source:Getty 1 of 26
2. Tarika Wilson, 26Source:Getty 2 of 26
3. Shereese Francis, 30Source:Getty 3 of 26
4. Shantel Davis, 23Source:Getty 4 of 26
5. Alesia Thomas, 35Source:Getty 5 of 26
6. Malissa Williams, 30Source:Getty 6 of 26
7. Darnesha Harris, 17Source:Getty 7 of 26
8. Shelly Frey, 27Source:Getty 8 of 26
9. Miriam Carey, 34Source:Getty 9 of 26
10. Yvette Smith, 47Source:Getty 10 of 26
11. Michelle Cusseaux, 50Source:Getty 11 of 26
12. Aura Rosser, 40Source:Getty 12 of 26
13. Tanisha Anderson, 37Source:Getty 13 of 26
14. Eleanor Bumpurs, 66Source:Getty 14 of 26
15. Natasha McKenna, 37Source:Getty 15 of 26
16. Janisha Fonville, 20Source:Getty 16 of 26
17. Meagan Hockaday, 26Source:Getty 17 of 26
18. Alexia Christian, 25Source:Getty 18 of 26
19. Sandra Bland, 28Source:Getty 19 of 26
20. Gynnya McMillen, 16Source:Getty 20 of 26
21. Symone Marshall, 22Source:Getty 21 of 26
22. Korryn Gaines, 23Source:Getty 22 of 26
23. Deborah Danner, 66Source:Getty 23 of 26
24. Alteria Woods, 21Source:Getty 24 of 26
25. Charleena Lyles, 30Source:Getty 25 of 26
26. Cariann Denise Hithon, 22Source:Getty 26 of 26
Minneapolis Police Chief Steps Down After Fatal Shooting Of Australian Woman was originally published on newsone.com