Ezekiel Elliott just received some bitter-sweet news regarding his upcoming season in the NFL — he is suspended but can play in week one.
On Tuesday, after an arbitration hearing at the league’s NYC headquarters, the NFL upheld the star’s six-game suspension following his alleged domestic violence incident from August.
According to TMZ, Zeke was allowed to gave his side of the story while under oath before NFL-appointed arbitrator, Harold Henderson, handed down the verdict. However, the league held their ground and maintained Elliott’s suspension from earlier this month.
You may recall that Zeke was suspended after the NFL claims to have found “substantial evidence” that he engaged in physical violence against his then-girlfriend, Tiffany Thompson. Henderson reportedly denied a request to have Thompson testify at the appeal proceeding.
The arbitrator also barred the introduction of notes and materials gathered in the NFL’s interviews with Thompson. The Cowboys star legal team said in a statement, “We are extremely disappointed with Mr. Henderson’s inability to navigate through league politics, and follow the evidence and, most importantly, his conscience.”
They added that Zeke “is looking forward to having his day in federal court where the playing field will be level and the NFL will have to answer for its unfair and unjust practices.” Even after Henderson’s ruling upholding the suspension, Judge Mazzant decided to hold the NFL and NFLPA to their agreement, which means Zeke can suit up for the Cowboys against the Giants on Sunday night.
The NFL released a statement saying:
Elliott will reportedly ask a judge to reduce his suspension when he appears in federal court.
The Hottest Rookies Of The 2014-2015 NFL Season (PHOTOS)
1. Cody Latimer of the Broncos.Source:Twitter 1 of 13
2. Bashaud Breeland of the Redskins.Source:Instagram 2 of 13
3. Johnny Manziel of the Browns.Source:Instagram 3 of 13
4. Jadeveon Clowney of the Texans.Source:Instagram 4 of 13
5. Brandin Cooks of the Saints.Source:Instagram 5 of 13
6. Deone Bucannon of the Cardinals.Source:Instagram 6 of 13
7. Blake Bortles of the Jaguars.Source:Instagram 7 of 13
8. Jimmie Ward of the 49ers.Source:Instagram 8 of 13
9. Haha Clinton-Dix of the Packers.Source:Instagram 9 of 13
10. Khalil Mack of the Raiders.Source:Instagram 10 of 13
11. Aaron Lynch of the 49ers.Source:Twitter 11 of 13
12. Bishop Sankey of the Titans.Source:Instagram 12 of 13
13. Ryan Grant of the Redskins.Source:Twitter 13 of 13
Ezekiel Elliott Six-Game Suspension Upheld, But There’s A Twist was originally published on globalgrind.com