President Donald Trump displayed his lack of compassion for the residents of Puerto Rico on Tuesday when he visited the hurricane ravished island. He went to observe the damage and to meet local and federal officials engaged in relief efforts.
Days before he landed in the capital, San Juan, Trump received heavy criticism for the slow federal response to the disaster that struck the U.S. territory. He doubled down by patting himself on the back for doing a great job and firing retaliatory tweets at San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz in the middle of the humanitarian crisis.
Here are 5 unforgettable Trump moments in Puerto Rico:
He threw paper towels at the crowd
The president tossed paper towels at people trying to pull together the pieces of their lives. The vast majority of them remain without power.
Trump told Puerto Rican leaders they should be “proud” that more of their people didn’t die
At a meeting with Puerto Rican leaders, Trump told them to congratulate themselves and be “very proud” that only 16 of their people died in the national disaster.
He complained about the recovery cost
Trump told Puerto Rican officials, in a sarcastically joking manner, that the hurricane relief effort threw the federal “budget a little out of whack.”
He told a victim to “have a good time”
While touring a storm damaged neighborhood, Trump told a resident, “We’re going to work it out, have a good time.”
He said Hurricane Maria wasn’t a “real catastrophe”
Trump told Puerto Rican officials that Hurricane Katrina was “a real catastrophe,” remarking that hundreds of people died in Katrina but only 16 died in Maria.
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14 of 14
"The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain. I'm going to press on."— BrooklynDad_Defiant! (@mmpadellan) February 18, 2019
-- President Barack Obama
Happy #PresidentsDay, Mr. President! We ❤️ you!@BarackObama pic.twitter.com/xhQEb4OG1U