Palm Beach Gardens police will not charge Venus Williams in the car crash that killed a passenger in the other vehicle, removing a cloud that hung over the tennis star from the tragic accident, The Sun Sentinel reported.
“Based upon this investigation and relevant Florida state statutes, no charges will be filed in this case,” the police report said. The investigators concluded that neither driver was at fault.
Investigators initially found Williams at fault for the June 9 accident. But on later review, officials announced in July that the tennis player lawfully entered an intersection on a green light when the other driver T-boned Williams. The newly released report said Williams “was cut off by another car, setting off a chain of events that seconds later resulted in a fatal crash with a third car.” Neither Linda Barson, 68, nor Williams violated the other’s right of way.
Barson’s 78-year-old husband, Jerome Barson, suffered lacerations to his spleen and pelvis and spinal fractures. Unfortunately, he died 13 days later, after developing multi-organ failure while struggling for his life in an intensive care unit. Barson had filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Williams.
The tragic wreck happened during the time Williams, 37, was preparing to compete in London at the Wimbledon grand slam. She was clearly impacted emotionally from the incident. “I am divested and heartbroken by this accident. My heartfelt condolences go out to the family and friends of Jerome Barson and I continue to keep them in my thoughts and prayers,” she wrote.
SOURCE: Sun Sentinel
Serena & Venus Williams’ Best Tennis Outfits Through The Years
1. Remember when…Serena and Venus came onto the scene in the late 1990s wearing beads and braids?Source: 1 of 25
2. Serena sports one of her classic Puma tennis dresses at the 1999 US OpenSource: 2 of 25
3. Venus rocks a cutout tennis dress at the 1999 Grand Slam CupSource: 3 of 25
4. A young Serena Williams wears a two-tone tennis dress at the 2000 Australian OpenSource: 4 of 25
5. Venus rocks one of her signature cutout tennis outfits at Wimbledon in 2000Source: 5 of 25
6. Serena goes pastel purple at the eStyle.Com Classic in 2000Source: 6 of 25
7. Venus and Serena looked super stylish at the 2000 Sydney OlympicsSource: 7 of 25
8. Serena is pretty in pink 2001 French OpenSource: 8 of 25
9. Venus rocks a spaghetti strap halter at the 2001 US OpenSource: 9 of 25
10. Serena celebrates her 2002 Wimbledon win in a traditional (but not-so-traditional) white tennis outfitSource: 10 of 25
11. Serena is just a peach at the 2002 Home Depot ChampionshipsSource: 11 of 25
12. Serena’s orange and white 2003 Wimbledon Puma outfitSource: 12 of 25
13. Serena rocks a metallic empire waist at the Women’s Telecom Italia Tennis Masters in 2004Source: 13 of 25
14. Serena wins in her gorgeous 2004 Wimbledon outfitSource: 14 of 25
15. Serena rocks a denim tennis outfit at the 2004 US open Arthur Ashe Kids’ DaySource: 15 of 25
16. Serena celebrates in this cute Nike ensemble at the 2005 Australian OpenSource: 16 of 25
17. Serena experiments with a little color blocking at the 2009 French OpenSource: 17 of 25
18. Venus gets sexy on the court at the 2010 Sony Ericsson OpenSource: 18 of 25
19. Venus rocks a double slit tennis dress while playing with her sister at the 2010 Australian OpenSource: 19 of 25
20. Serena goes pink on pink at the 2013 US OpenSource: 20 of 25
21. Serena looks gorgeous in Pink Cheetah at the 2014 US OpenSource: 21 of 25
22. More cheetah for Serena at the 2014 US OpenSource: 22 of 25
23. Serena wears a yellow crop top at the 2016 Australian OpenSource: 23 of 25
24. Serena and Venus get braided up in preparation for Rio OlympicsSource: 24 of 25
25. Serena Williams represents Team USA at the 2016 Rio OlympicsSource: 25 of 25
Venus Williams Cleared Of Criminal Charges In Fatal Car Crash was originally published on hellobeautiful.com