Graduation season is in full swing, and for 14-year-old Matthew McKenzie it’s been a busy one. The Cobb County, Georgia teen received both his high school diploma and college degree on the same day, Fox 5 Atlanta reported.
McKenzie graduated from Chattahoochee Tech with a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies hours before his high school graduation, the news outlet writes. The teen, who was homeschooled, started high school at the age of 8-years-old and by the time he turned 11 he was dually enrolled in high school and college.
McKenzie’s parents instilled the importance of education within him at an early age. “We would pull material from different textbooks and custom create his curriculum,” his mother Monique McCord told the news outlet. Being on a college campus is a lot for an 11-year-old to take in so his mother walked him to class when he first started.
McKenzie says that he doesn’t plan on stopping his educational journey anytime soon. His next stop will be Kennesaw State University in the fall where he will study biochemistry. After Kennesaw State he plans on pursuing his Ph.D. in chemical engineering at Georgia Tech.
There are many Black youngsters like Matthew McKenzie who are raising the bar in education. Recently, 11-year-old Baton Rouge native Elijah Precciely received a full-ride scholarship from Southern University.
10 Black Weddings That Were Absolutely Royal
1. Barack and Michelle Obama Marry on October 3, 1992Source: 1 of 10
2. Solange Knowles Marrying Alan Ferguson on November 16, 2014Source: 2 of 10
3. Serena Williams Marries Alexis Ohanian November 16, 2017
Source: 3 of 10
4. Gucci Mane Marries Keyshia Ka'oir on October 17, 2017
Source: 4 of 10
5. Gabrielle Union Marries Dwyane Wade on August 30, 2014Source: 5 of 10
6. Kevin Hart Marries Eniko Parrish on August 13, 2016Source: 6 of 10
7. Chanel Iman and Sterling Shepard Marry on March 3, 2018Source: 7 of 10
8. LeToya Luckett and Tommicus Walker Marry On December 10, 2017Source: 8 of 10
9. John Legend and Chrissy Teigen Marry On September 14, 2013
Source: 9 of 10
10. One of the Few Photos From Beyoncé And Jay Z Wedding in 2008
Source: 10 of 10
Georgia Teen Graduates From High School And College On The Same Day was originally published on newsone.com