Before we get started it’s probably a good idea for everyone to let out a long, relaxing ‘wooosah’.
Did it help? Probably not, but the homie Will Smith definitely didn’t complete that infamous exercise before calmly slapping the taste out of Chris Rock’s mouth at the 2022 Academy Awards.
But what most fans don’t understand is that this isn’t the first time Rock has made a joke about Will’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith. Though I have a funny feeling that it may be the last.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
After the slap heard around the world, many wondered if there was some dark history between Will and Chris that would’ve prompted such a violent outburst. Let’s break it down.
Back in 2016, at the same award ceremony, Chris Rock was hosting. At the time the ‘#OscarsSoWhite’ trend was in full effect. Several celebrities and followers on social media didn’t appreciate the lack of diversity at the award ceremony and decided to protest. Both Will and Jada boycott the show, and Rock, of course, turned it into a joke.
The line about the Smiths happens around the 2:50 mark.
“Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties,” Rock quipped during the opening monoluge. “I wasn’t invited.”
In 2018 Will showed some love to his ex-wife, Sheree Zambino, who’s the mother of his oldest son, on social media. Rock left a comment confessing that Will must “have a very understanding wife”.
And then last night happened. For Mr. Rock it looks like three strikes and a slap to the face my boy!
The point is, Chris Rock has made several remarks about Jada Pinkett Smith over the years. No one is condoning violence, and of course, Will lacked professionalism in his approach. But is there something going on between Rock and the Smiths that we just don’t know about?
Perhaps. Or perhaps we’ll never really get to the bottom of it.
But one thing’s for sure, it looks like Jaden Smith – Will and Jada’s son – is rocking with his dad on this one.
Who’s side are you on in this Will Smith/Chris Rock fiasco?
- Black People And Seasonal Depression: How To Combat Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Howard University Swim Team Will Make History During Hall of Fame Weekend
- Read 10 Things We Learned From Last Week’s Episode of ‘Atlanta’
- The Undressing Room Presented By Macy’s ‘Love & Cheating’ | Episode 87
- 90’s Rapper Coolio Dead at 59
- Chloe Bailey Channels Betty Boop In Latest Instagram Photos
- Kandi Burruss Teases Todd Tucker In Sultry Bedroom Video
- Spirit.Ed: Fistful Of Bourbon & Hudson Whiskey Gets Our Vote For Bourbon Heritage Month
- “The Hair Tales” Trailer Is Here! Get A Glimpse At Hulu & OWN’s Six-Part Series Celebrating Black Beauty
- Keke Palmer, SZA & Jonathan Majors Highlight TIME’S 100 Next List
Here’s What You Don’t Know About the History of Will Smith and Chris Rock was originally published on zhiphopcleveland.com