Maria Arias, the pregnant girlfriend of recently deceased Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez, made her first public appearance since the player’s fatal boat crash at his funeral on Sunday. Fernandez’s mother and abuela were also in attendance at the church in Miami, Florida.
While Arias has stayed mum in the press, Fernandez’s ex-girlfriend Carla Mendoza paid tribute to him in a heartfelt Instagram post, writing, “The heartbreak is unbearable.” She also expressed support for Arias and her unborn child:
View this post on Instagram
My deepest love goes out to those who saw jose as more than an athlete, but as a passionate, raw human being. The heart break is unbearable. There was so much more to him than anyone could even begin to understand. I'm fortunate enough to have loved and be loved by jose and his family, for over 3 crazy beautiful years. Thank you so much to everyone who's reached out to me, it truly means everything. Nothing will make this time easy for anyone and if you do one thing today, let it be that you tell those close to you how much you love them. Not one day will pass by that I don't miss him. Jose never went one moment without knowing how much support and love he had from those close to him. My heart goes out to Maria, as she is expecting his child. Please honor Joses memory by respecting his daughter and her mother as I'm sure this is all too painful for them.
There has been an outpouring of love for Fernandez this week, from his family, fans, and the Marlins organization.
Fernandez was only 24 when he died. He was selected for the 2016 All Star team and was considered one of the most promising young pitchers in baseball.
Last week, Fernandez posted a pic of his pregnant girlfriend with the caption, “I’m so glad you came into my life.”
May he rest in peace.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Instagram
Remembering Greatness: The Celebrity Deaths Of 2016
1. Rapper Shawty Lo died in a fiery Atlanta car crash on the morning of Sept. 21.Source:Getty 1 of 14
2. Sportscaster John Saunders passed away suddenly at the age of 61 on Aug. 10. The details surrounding his passing are still unclear.Source:Getty 2 of 14
3. Actor Gene Wilder, best known for his role in 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,' died on Aug. 29 from Alzheimer's disease.Source:Getty 3 of 14
4. Legendary boxer Muhammad Ali passed away on June 3 after a 32-year battle with Parkinson's.Source:Getty 4 of 14
5. Actor Anton Yelchin, best known for his role as Chekov in 'Star Wars,' passed away minutes after a June 19 car accident.Source:Getty 5 of 14
6. Actor Ron Lester died on Aug. 4 of kidney failure. He was best known for his role in 'Not Another Teen Movie.'Source:Getty 6 of 14
7. 'The Voice' star Christina Grimmie was shot dead at 22 years old by a man who opened fire on her while she signed autographs.Source:Getty 7 of 14
8. Legendary singer Prince tragically died from an accidental prescription drug overdose on April 21. He was 57-years-old.Source:Getty 8 of 14
9. WWF wrestler and actress Chyna died from an accidental overdose of Valium and Ambien on April 20. She was 45 years old.Source:Getty 9 of 14
10. 'Blood, Sweat, & Heels' reality star Daisy Lewellyn died from a rare form of liver cancer on April 8.Source:Getty 10 of 14
11. Singer Denise Matthews, aka Vanity, died from kidney failure at the age of 57 on Feb. 15. She was Prince's protegée and ex-girlfriend.Source:Getty 11 of 14
12. Singer Maurice White passed away on Feb. 3 after battling Parkinson's disease. He was the founder of R&B group Earth, Wind, & Fire.Source:Getty 12 of 14
13. Rock star David Bowie died on Jan. 10 after battling cancer for 18 months. He was 69.Source:Getty 13 of 14
14. A Tribe Called Quest rapper Phife Dawg passed away on March 22 due to complications from diabetes. He was 45 years old.Source:Getty 14 of 14
Jose Fernandez’s Pregnant Girlfriend Maria Arias Attends Funeral was originally published on globalgrind.com