Listen Live
93.9 WKYS Featured Video

A federal judge on Monday dismissed a $41.5 million civil rights lawsuit filed by Ferguson protesters who charged that police used excessive force during 2014 demonstrations against Michael Brown’s death, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.

U.S. District Judge Henry Autrey in St. Louis County, Missouri, wrote in his 74-page ruling that protesters, “completely failed to present any credible evidence that any of the actions taken by these individuals were taken with malice or were committed in bad faith.”

Autrey’s decision said protesters were given the opportunity to disperse, but “ignored repeated warnings.” Officers involved in the case were also granted immunity.

The lawsuit, filed by nine demonstrators on August 28, 2014, allege they were unlawfully arrested, beaten, sprayed with tear gas and shot with rubber-coated bullets during protests, according to the Post-Dispatch.

Gregory Lattimer, a lawyer representing the protesters, told the Post-Dispatch via telephone: “It’s unfortunate that the Constitution has such a rough time in Missouri, but I think that the court of appeals will look at this and make a determination that … the judge’s refusal to allow these cases to go forward was not consistent with applicable law.”

The local NAACP chapter told NBC News they were also dissatisfied with Autrey’s decision. Lattimer filed an appeal with the 8th Circuit of U.S. appeals on Monday, according to NBC News. He’s determined to get “justice for the people,” he said.

Protests began in Ferguson after Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old resident, was shot and killed by Officer Darren Wilson on August 9, 2014. Hundreds of people took to the streets, resulting in weeks of unrest.

SOURCE: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, NBC News | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty


Radio One, Inc. Says ‘#NotOneMore’

Ferguson Activist Fatally Shot, Left In Burning Car

Federal Judge Tosses $41.5 Million Ferguson Protesters’ Civil Rights Lawsuit  was originally published on