Executives for T-Mobile and Dallas city officials accepted responsibility Wednesday for the ongoing 911 call center problems that many blame for the death of a 6-month-old boy, reports KXAS-TV, an NBC News affiliate.
“Clearly we share this obligation, this responsibility with the city management leadership as well as the mayor’s office in a very sincere and deep way,” said T-Mobile Executive Vice President David Carey.
So-called unintentional “ghost calls” from T-Mobile phones to Dallas’ 911 call center were first detected in October and spike in November, city officials acknowledged. These spontaneous calls sometimes flood the center for hours and prevent legitimate emergency calls from getting through to dispatchers.
Many are blaming the ghost calls for the tragic death of Bridget Alex’s infant son, Brandon, on Saturday.
According to a CBS News report, Alex was at a funeral when Brandon’s young babysitter called to say the infant had fallen and would not wake up. The caretaker told Alex that she had been desperately trying to reach 911, but no one was answering the phone. The mother rushed home and drove her son to the hospital, but it was too late.
CBS said Alex blames city officials and the mobile phone company for Brandon’s death. They’ve known about the problem for months and failed to fix it.
“At the end of the day, I’m still going to be here hurt, because he’s not going to be here,” Alex said. “I’m not going to get to see him or smell him or touch him or kiss him ever again.”
City officials are remorseful for the tragedy but do not accept responsibility for the death, KXAS-TV reported.
“I’m sorry and we are going to do better as a city,” Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings said, according to KXAS-TV. “We need immediate answers and we need to do everything we can to fix this.”
T-Mobile released this statement, via CBS News:
“We remain completely committed to solving this issue and have been working daily with the Dallas [911 center] to find a permanent solution to this problem. We are increasing our efforts and bringing in additional engineers to Dallas to further collaborate with the [911 center] team. These top engineers will not rest until the problem is resolved.”
Happy Presidents' Day! 44 Photos To Make You Miss Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 44
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 44
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 44
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 44
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 44
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 44
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 44
8. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 8 of 44
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 44
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 44
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 44
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 44
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 44
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 44
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 44
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 44
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 44
18. Team ObamaSource:Instagram 18 of 44
19. A Family AffairSource:Getty 19 of 44
20. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 20 of 44
21. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 21 of 44
22. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 22 of 44
23. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 23 of 44
24. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 24 of 44
25. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 25 of 44
26. Playing In The Oval OfficeSource:Instagram 26 of 44
27. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 27 of 44
28. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 28 of 44
29. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 29 of 44
30. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 30 of 44
31. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 31 of 44
32. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 32 of 44
33. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 33 of 44
34. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 34 of 44
35. Family SupportSource:Getty 35 of 44
36. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 36 of 44
37. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 37 of 44
38. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 38 of 44
39. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 39 of 44
40. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 40 of 44
41. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 41 of 44
42. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 42 of 44
43. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 43 of 44
44. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 44 of 44