Flashback Friday: Here’s What Was Happening In Pop Culture In 2006 was originally published on globalgrind.com
1. Shiloh Jolie Pitt was named the top baby born in 2006. Shiloh was the first biological child of A-list couple Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.
2. George Clooney was named People’s Sexiest Man Alive. Angelina Jolie took the title of Sexiest Woman.
3. “Hannah Montana” debuted on Disney Channel, introducing Miley Cyrus to the world. “30 Rock,” “Dexter,” and “Ugly Betty” also debuted that year.
4. Mariah Carey’s “Don’t Forget About Us” topped the Billboard Charts for that year.
5. Justin Timberlake’s “FutureSex/LoveSounds” and Beyonce’s “B’Day” became two of the best-selling albums of that year.
6. College student Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook social media site expanded to more U.S. universities, then moved to international student networks, before finally switching to open registration in September 2006: anybody who is at least 13 and has a valid email address can sign up.
7. That summer, former N’Sync-er Lance Bass revealed he’s gay.
8. In February 2006, Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a campaign contributor during a weekend quail hunt on a friend’s South Texas ranch.
9. After Donald Trump announced that he wouldn’t fire troubled Miss USA Tara Conner, Rosie O’Donnell called him a “snake-oil salesman” and their feud began.
10. In May 2006, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously that Anna Nicole Smith could her access her late husband’s fortune. In September, she gave birth to baby girl DannieLynn. That same month, her son Daniel died in her hospital room.
11. Sacha Baron Cohen’s “Borat” topped the box office, sparking a lot of controversy. Baron Cohen won a Golden Globe for Best Actor: Musical or Comedy.
12. The world was shocked by the death of Steve Irwin, also known as “The Crocodile Hunter.”
13. Oprah confronted best-selling author James Frey, who admitted that his book “A Million Little Pieces” was all fabricated.
14. Reese Witherspoon and husband Ryan Phillippe called it quits. So did Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn, & Britney Spears and Kevin Federline.
15. Mel Gibson racked up the DUIs and media scrutiny following his drunken, racist tirade.
16. 2006 saw the beginning of the decline of Britney Spears. That year, the star partied with Paris Hilton, went out without underwear, lost custody of her children, and split with K-Fed.
17. Google purchased YouTube for $1.65 billion, becoming the most expensive purchase made by Google during its then eight-year history.
More From KYSDC