So here is the break down on the iPhone OS 4.0, its pretty heavy:
Announced was the long over due “multitasking” YES! The looks of the home screen are lightly touched up, but there was so much they didn’t even go into that was to much to even talk about in one conference.
The new OS will ship in June and a developer preview is available today.
First: Multitasking, App Folders, etc
- Multitasking: You know how long i been waiting for this?! It has a task switcher: Double click your home button, and you will see a list of apps running on the iPHONE. Even though it is really doing Audio, Voip, and GPS in the back ground this is cool with me. Its about saving battery life as well if you think about it. For non-music,nav,Voip apps, notification will still be in place for that.
- Fast app switching: Apps will be frozen in the background from the last state. So even though multitasking is available, its not for every app is running fully. Remember its really only for music, nav, and voip.
- Local Nofications: This is how you get notifications like in games like words with friends, or the facebook app. In Apple’s words:
The advantage of local notifications is that they are independent of your application. Once a notification is scheduled, the system manages the delivery of it. Your application does not even have to be running when the notification is delivered.
- App Folders: Clean up that homescreen, because its solved now. Apple’s Description:
Folders help users better organize and quickly access their apps. Simply drag one app icon onto another, and a new folder is automatically created. The folder is automatically given a name based on the App Store category of that app, such as “Games,” which the user can easily rename. Using folders, users can now organize and access over 2,000 apps on their iPhone.
- All New Mail App: All your emails will come into one area. Multiple Exchange accounts! Nice! Apple’s words:
iPhone OS 4 delivers the best mail experience on a mobile phone with its new Unified Inbox, allowing users to see messages from all their email accounts displayed together in a single inbox. With just a few taps, users can quickly switch between inboxes to see messages from any single account.
- iBooks: We knew this was coming, it was a big success on the iPad there is no reason for it not to be ported. Buy book once on your ipad or iphone and you can read it where ever.
- Custom Backgrounds: Many people have Jailbroken their iPhones to do this….we’ll no need for that anymore. Available in settings.
- Game Center: Now this to me is the sign of Apple really trying to take over the portable game market. Just like the Xbox Live, or PSN network, this does the same. This is getting serious…Why hasn’t Nintendo done this? Slacking
- iAd Advertising: Remember Apple acquiring Quattro Wireless? My assumptions was right, they are now allowing developers, and or companies to buy ad space in the games. To me this is a BIG DEAL, Making money is always good! Not to mention the interactive aspect of this.
- 5x digital zoom: Hmmmm this is a sign of new hardware to me.
- Bluetooth keyboards: I would assume this means Apple will be implementing more productive apps. Office iPhone??
iPhone OS 4 will work with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the second- and third-generation iPod touch this summer, and with iPad in the fall. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009).
iPhone OS 4.0: All The New Features! Multitasking Ready was originally published on woldcnews.com