We always hear about the beef, but last night’s 2015 Hot 97 Summer Jam proved there is so much solidarity within the hip-hop community, most of which goes unnoticed.
The late rapper Chinx was shown love throughout the entire show, Fab‘s set was more about paying homage to the 90’s greats than it was about his own music, 50 Cent and French Montana set aside their issues to hit the stage together for Chris Brown‘s set, and Meek Mill‘s love for Nicki Minaj was made very clear despite the media constantly questioning the couple’s sincerity.
It was refreshing to see some of the industry’s most talented being acknowledged, regardless of whether or not they were New York artists, women, or from a different hip-hop era – hip-hop definitely has a rep for being close-minded, violent, and misogynistic and last night’s show was anything but. In fact, two of the dopest moments were Fabolous bringing out Remy Ma and Lil Kim, who the audience went absolutely wild for.
One thing was clear after Remy and Fat Joe got the crowd to “Lean Back,” 50 dropped “What Up Gangsta” and “Many Men” to a yearning audience, and a contrite Breezy felt moved to thank his fans for sticking by him through all of his “trials and tribulations” – hip-hop is a vibe. It’s a community. It’s a feeling that fans of the culture can’t get anywhere else.
In my most humble opinion, Summer Jam undoubtedly did right by our community last night. Check out some of the most memorable moments from the show below.
P.S. Rihanna wasn’t there, but her “Bitch Betta Have My Money” was hittin’!
1. Meek Mill introduces Nicki Minaj. She’s a bad bish but he “don’t want to call her no bitch no more. It’s the motherfucking queen of the rap game in this bitch!”
2. That moment Nicki told Meek she loved him (3:49 mark).
3. Fabolous’ set was a bevy of memorable moments, as he brought out a ton of 90’s greats, including Method Man, Redman, Raekwon, Fat Joe, Black Rob, Busta Rhymes, Spliff Star, Remy Ma, Jadakiss, Lil Kim, Styles P, Mase, and more.
Lil Kim got the crowd going with hits like “Money, Power, Respect” and “Quiet Storm.”
Mase did his dance all night, performing hits like “Been Around The World” and “Feel So Good.”
4. Ty Dolla $ign and Wiz Khalifa hit the blunt while performing their sensual hit, “Or Nah.”
5. 50 Cent came on stage to support French as he performed during Chris Brown’s set. French had the whole stadium shmurda dancing when he dropped his popular “Hot N*gga” remix. Beef ended.
6. Dej Loaf held her own while rapping her fan-favorite “Try Me” during Ty Dolla $ign’s set.
7. Future’s ice damn near blinded us all. No, seriously… it glows in the dark, or some shit.
8. Future and Meek Mill shed light on police brutality during their time on stage together.
9. Chris Brown’s set was definitely one of my favorites – his talent is undeniable, he has a ton of hits to perform, and he brought out G-Unit.
2015 Summer Jam: How Hot 97 Helped Prove Hip-Hop Isn’t All Misogyny & Violence was originally published on globalgrind.com
He’s Back! Jamie Foxx Announces Return To TV With New Show
Indecent Exposure! Celebrities Who Happily Show Off Their “Hoo-Ha” (NSFW PHOTOS)
Jonathan Majors Reportedly Dating Meagan Good Amid Domestic Violence Charges, Twitter Reacts
Iconic Singer Tina Turner Dead at 83
Nicki Minaj Gives Us A Photo Dump... Of Her DUMP [Photos]
30 Photos Of Cardi B’s Ass
27 Insane Pictures Of Iggy Azalea’s Booty (PHOTOS)
Nick Cannon Mixes Up Baby Mom’s Gifts on Mother’s Day: ‘I Tried My Best’