If you ain’t about that Thug Life, then this post ain’t for you.
Today is the one and only Tupac Shakur‘s birthday and the entire world is reminiscing on how big of an influence the rapper, activist, actor, and poet has been on our culture. If he wasn’t shot and killed in 1996, Pac would have been 44 and most likely, still one of the biggest entertainers of the day.
We know you know his music, have heard his poetry, and can maybe even spit a few political Pac quotes off the top of your head. But did you know Tupac did time before he was even born? Or, that Jada Pinkett Smith was who he called after he finished writing his legendary track “Dear Mama?”
Ahead of his birthday, Jada went into more depth about her “volatile” relationship with Pac, saying of their friendship:
You know, it’s so funny. Now being older, I have more of an understanding of what that was between us. When you have two young people that have very strong feelings, but there is no physical chemistry between us at all. And it wasn’t even just for me! It was him too. There was a time when I was like, ‘Just kiss me! Let’s just see how this goes.’ And when I tell you it had to be the most disgusting kiss for us both.
To honor the legend, we gathered 21 facts you might not have known about him in the gallery below. Rest in peace, Pac.
PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
18 Surprising Facts About Tupac Shakur
1. While at a hotel with his ex-wife, Keisha Morris, the room they were in caught fire. Reportedly, "Tupac was disappointed in her and told her he couldn’t trust her because she didn’t stay with him to fight the fire."Source:Getty 1 of 18
2. Tupac bought Biggie Smalls his first Rolex.Source:false 2 of 18
3. His mom originally named him Lesane Parish Crooks.Source:Getty 3 of 18
4. Tupac's mom, Afeni Shakur, was a Black Panther, in jail on bombing charges at the time of her pregnancy with the rapper.Source:Getty 4 of 18
5. Tupac was homeless when he first moved to California, living in different shelters for approximately two years.Source:Getty 5 of 18
6. Tupac was a really big fan of actor Jim Carrey.Source:Getty 6 of 18
7. Though Tupac is known for representing the West Coast, he was actually born on the East side of Harlem.Source:Getty 7 of 18
8. Tupac once cried after talking to Maya Angelou on the set of "Poetic Justice."Source:Getty 8 of 18
9. When marrying Keisha Morris, the priest got to the part where he states "with all your worldly possessions..." Tupac interrupted, letting the priest know: "Well, Keisha can’t have my pool table or my big screen TV.”Source:Getty 9 of 18
10. During an altercation in 1993, Tupac shot two policemen - one in the leg and the other in the butt. Charges against the rapper were later dropped.Source:Getty 10 of 18
11. Tupac and Fredo Starr met at the premiere of "Sunset Park."Source:Getty 11 of 18
12. Mike Dyson says that during Tupac's final hours on Earth, "Vincent" by Don Maclean was played repetitively.Source:Getty 12 of 18
13. He and Jada Pinkett Smith once kissed to see if they had any chemistry - but according to Jada, "It had to be the most disgusting kiss for us both."Source:Getty 13 of 18
14. Tupac spent 15 days in prison after punching "Menace II Society" director Allen Hughes in the face. He was later replaced by Lorenz Tate. Witnesses say it was more like Hughes was fighting 30 people, referring to Tupac's entourage who was allegedly jumping him.Source:false 14 of 18
15. Pac was required to take an HIV test before doing love scenes with Janet Jackson in "Poetic Justice."Source:false 15 of 18
16. When he died, he was engaged to actress Kidada Jones.Source:false 16 of 18
17. Tupac got his last name from his stepfather, Mutulu Shakur.Source:false 17 of 18
18. Tupac reportedly had sex with almost all of the women in his x-rated music video "How Do U Want It," then passed out from exhaustion.Source:Getty 18 of 18
#ThugLife: 21 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Tupac Shakur was originally published on globalgrind.com