The beautiful buzz cut you see above wasn’t always Kikanwa Morgan‘s look.
Last week she permed her hair and a women’s worst nightmare happened: It. Fell. Out.
Rather than panicking, Kika maintained a positive outlook, stating, “Here’s to something new. Here’s to making the best out of every situation. Here’s to discovering a new aspect of my style.”
How did Kika arrive to this cool, calm, collective conclusion? Avoiding tears, frustration, and even shame? She hesitantly admitted, due to the sensitivity of the subject, “Though I am not extremely particular about my hair, I know what it represents and can mean for many. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the response to my new cut. It’s like a whole new world has been opened up to me that I never would’ve discovered had this incident not happened.”
For Kika, people have been embracing her new look, with some stating it’s as if they are seeing her face for the first time!
“That’s a powerful thought to me. That somehow, even unintentionally as women, we can hide behind our hair, even when it’s short.”
As women, how many of us can challenge ourselves to see ourselves without our hair? Often hair and femininity, through societal norms and pressures, have “looked” a certain way. Would the prince have struggled and fought to get to Rapunzel if she didn’t have all that hair?
Rather than viewing her short do as a tragedy, Kika found it empowering and eye-opening: “I’ve never really viewed myself as feminine, graceful, or any other soft words used to describe a woman, but this new haircut has allowed that side to be exposed. I was always afraid that if I cut my hair shorter I would look more masculine, but here I am with the least amount of hair I’ve ever had in my life and I am more gentle in appearance than I’ve ever been.”
I love the fortitude of her attitude.
Kika empathizes with those that may have lost hair and are not taking it as nonchalantly as her. “Don’t be discouraged. Make the best of it. The virtue you possess as a woman is inside of you. THAT is your best feature. Your hair is simply a reflection of said beauty,” she said.
Stay strong and be open to new possibilities in your hair journey, beauties.
You can follow Kika on Instagram, here.
We here at #TeamBeautiful celebrate our natural hair sistahs! Submit your natural hair to ContactHelloBeautiful@gmail.com for a chance to be featured! When submitting, please don’t forget to include the following:
1. Two photos of your hair on fleek. (CLEAR, high res images, please! Everyone is going to see these!)
2. What product you used to achieve the look.
3. How you achieved the look.
4. How long you have been natural.
5. The best natural hair care tip you have received.
6. Add a couple of tidbits about yourself, i.e. where you’re from, age, hobbies, career, etc.
We look forward to seeing all of your beautiful hair photos!
ESSENCE FESTIVAL STREETSTYLE: Haute Hair And Statement Style In The Beautiful Bayou
1. STATEMENT SUNNIESSource:Hello Beautiful 1 of 32
2. SOUTHERN STYLESource:Hello Beautiful 2 of 32
3. SMILESource:Hello Beautiful 3 of 32
4. TOP NOTCH WITH THE TOP KNOTSource:Hello Beautiful 4 of 32
5. IT'S ALL IN THE DETAILSSource:Hello Beautiful 5 of 32
6. GIVE 'EM THE COLD SHOULDERSource:Hello Beautiful 6 of 32
7. ERICA ASHSource:Hello Beautiful 7 of 32
8. POP OF COLOR PUM PUM SHORTS!Source:Hello Beautiful 8 of 32
9. FUN WITH FRIENDS!Source:Hello Beautiful 9 of 32
10. COOL COORDINATESSource:Hello Beautiful 10 of 32
11.Source:Hello Beautiful 11 of 32
12. AFROSource:Hello Beautiful 12 of 32
13.Source:Hello Beautiful 13 of 32
14. GO BOLD!Source:Hello Beautiful 14 of 32
15. DENIM DELICATESSource:Hello Beautiful 15 of 32
16.Source:Hello Beautiful 16 of 32
17. BLUE STEELSource:Hello Beautiful 17 of 32
18. PATTERN PARTY!Source:Hello Beautiful 18 of 32
19. STYLIN' IN STRIPES!Source:Hello Beautiful 19 of 32
20. FLASH TATTOOSSource:Hello Beautiful 20 of 32
21. COOL KAFTANSource:Hello Beautiful 21 of 32
22.Source:Hello Beautiful 22 of 32
23. 4TH OF JULY STYLESource:Hello Beautiful 23 of 32
24.Source:Hello Beautiful 24 of 32
25. HIGHLIGHT WITH GRAYSource:Hello Beautiful 25 of 32
26. KEEPING COOLSource:Hello Beautiful 26 of 32
27. BODY ARTSource:Hello Beautiful 27 of 32
28.Source:Hello Beautiful 28 of 32
29.Source:Hello Beautiful 29 of 32
30. GO FOR GLADIATOR STYLESource:Hello Beautiful 30 of 32
31.Source:Hello Beautiful 31 of 32
32.Source:Hello Beautiful 32 of 32
REAL GIRLS, REAL CURLS: Do We Hide Behind Our Hair? was originally published on hellobeautiful.com