Racist graffiti spray-painted on an interracial couple’s home became an eyesoar to neighbors in a Stamford, Connecticut community. Someone apparently tried to do something about it.
The New York Times reports that the couple discovered on Wednesday morning that someone painted over the racial slur.
Over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend, the N-Word was spray-painted on their garage door. The couple said they have been the target of racists in the past and refused to whitewash the graffiti until the police made an arrest.
However, investigators came to a dead end without any suspects. Neighbors sympathized with the couple but wanted the graffiti removed. The police offered to paint over the slur at no cost to the residents, Heather Lindsa, who is White, and Lexene Charles, who is Black. But the couple declined the offer—to make a point.
With things at a standstill, the city issued a citation for blight about two weeks ago and warned the couple that they faced a $100 fine, for each day that the graffiti remained on the house.
The Times said a meeting between city officials and the couple was planned to resolve the case. The city said it would not fine the couple.
SOURCE: New York Times
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Racist Graffiti Painted Over On Interracial Couple’s House was originally published on newsone.com