A gunman fatally shot two people and injured two others at a rap concert Sunday night in Atlanta, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. The shooting is likely to renew concerns about hip-hop culture.
It was a frantic scene at the Masquerade at Underground Atlanta when the shooter fired at two rowdy concertgoers after they jumped on the stage between performances, an Atlanta police officer told the newspaper.
After fatally shooting those two concertgoers, the suspect fired toward the ground and struck two other people who were injured during the melee. The crowd, including the gunman, rushed toward the exit. Unarmed security personnel saw the suspect but were not able to detain him.
Cousin Stizz, who was scheduled to perform at the concert, released this statement on Instagram:
“I’m in shock and at a loss of words for the senseless violence,” he said. “My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.”
The rapper said his concerts are usually safe, but many will no doubt raise more questions about the link between hip-hop and violence.
Following a 2016 T. I. concert in Manhattan, at which a shooter killed one person and injured three others before the performance, former New York City Police Chief William J. Bratton said rap artists are “basically thugs” who perform music that celebrates violence, The New York Times reported.
In the ongoing debate, some researchers have argued that hip-hop culture promotes alcohol abuse that leads to violence. While others have praised hip-hop for reducing violence, by showing from FBI crime data that violent crime decreased since the birth of gansta rap.
2 Dead After Shooting At Drake’s OVO Fest Afterparty
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
2 People Fatally Shot At Cousin Stizz Rap Concert In Atlanta was originally published on newsone.com