One wouldn’t expect to come across sharks in the fresh waters of Maryland but apparently that is exactly what some fishermen found tangled in their fishing nets while in the Potomac River, according to Fox DC. In fact, they caught two near a swimming area in Point Lookout State Park in St Mary’s County and this isn’t the first time. They encountered another shark near the same area four years prior.
According to Fox DC:
“There are definitely sharks in the Potomac,” Dean says.
The first shark was pretty close to death when it was discovered Tuesday. But the second one, eight feet long and over 200 pounds, put up quite a fight.
A Maryland Department of Natural Resources biologist was on board when the sharks were hauled in and will be looking in to why these dangerous, testosterone-fueled bull sharks, known to bite swimmers, were in the Potomac.
Although Maryland has never recorded a reported shark attack experts urge swimmers to be careful when swimming and avoid swimming in the Potomac River at night or early in the morning when sharks are known to feed.
Remembering Black Youth Cut Down By Violence
1. Mike Brown1 of 15
2. Renisha McBrideSource: 2 of 15
3. Eric Garner3 of 15
4. Jonathan FerrellSource: 4 of 15
5. Jordan DavisSource: 5 of 15
6. Kendrick JohnsonSource: 6 of 15
7. Trayvon MartinSource: 7 of 15
8. Oscar GrantSource: 8 of 15
9. Sean BellSource: 9 of 15
10. Amadou DialloSource: 10 of 15
11. Michael Griffith11 of 15
12. Yusuf Hawkins12 of 15
13. Michael Donald13 of 15
14. Four Little Girls: Addie Mae Collins, Cynthia Wesley, Carole Robertson and Denise McNairSource: 14 of 15
15. Emmett TillSource: 15 of 15
Two Sharks Found in Potomac River…And This Isn’t The First Time was originally published on woldcnews.com