Black Girls Rock is no laughing matter. It’s an empowerment organization and awards ceremony to celebrate the achievements of women of color that are often overlooked by the mainstream media. Unfortunately, Nev Schulman, creator of the MTV show, “Catfish” tried to crack a joke and plug his show at the same time and the result was an epic fail.
“#BlackGirlsRock I totally agree. They also tend to #catfish a lot. Just sayin” said Nev on Twitter. It didn’t take long for the internet to collectively remind him that he was the first person to get catfished by a middle aged white woman pretending to be someone else.
“I am TIRED of the blatant disrespect of black women. On our night to shine too. Nev is cancelled” said @melaninbarbie
With his social media mentions in shambles, Nev realized the error in his ways. “Thank you to everyone who took the time to speak with me tonight and promote communication and understanding. Nothing but love and respect.”
@melaninporn for taking the time to help me understand some of the issues POC deal w/. Sorry to all I upset.”
Beauties, do you accept Nev‘s apology? Is there anymore he could have said or done to appear more empathetic?
#BlackGirlMagic: Stars Stun In The 2016 Black Girls Rock Ceremony
1. MonicaSource:Getty 1 of 16
2. Hillary ClintonSource:Getty 2 of 16
3. Amandla StenbergSource:Getty 3 of 16
4. Tatyana AliSource:Getty 4 of 16
5. Tracee Ellis RossSource:Getty 5 of 16
6. Corinne Bailey RaeSource:Getty 6 of 16
7. Justine SkyeSource:Getty 7 of 16
8. Gladys KnightSource:Getty 8 of 16
9. Andra MaySource:Getty 9 of 16
10. Shonda RhimesSource:Getty 10 of 16
11. RihannaSource:Getty 11 of 16
12. Naturi HaughtonSource:Getty 12 of 16
13. Tatyana Ali presentingSource:Getty 13 of 16
14. Iyanla VanzantSource:Getty 14 of 16
15. Kelly RowlandSource:Getty 15 of 16
16. RihannaSource:Getty 16 of 16
‘Catfish’ Creator Nev Schulman Gets Dragged For Disrespecting #BlackGirlsRock was originally published on hellobeautiful.com