Things aren’t looking great for the Ed Sheeran camp.
According to E! News, the pop singer has allegedly come under fire for his song “Thinking Out Loud,” due to its similarity to Marvin Gaye‘s 1973 classic “Let’s Get It On.” Gaye’s song, which became his most successful single, was co-written by Gaye and Ed Townsend. Townsend’s heirs are suing Sheeran for copyright infringement.
This isn’t the first time this has happened to Sheeran. Back in June, it was reported that he also came under fire for his song “Photograph.”
“The Grammy-winning singer has been hit with a lawsuit by Martin Harrington and Thomas Leonard, and their publishing company HaloSongs, who allege that Sheeran’s ‘Photograph’ is a copy of their 2009 song ‘Amazing.’
Harrington and Leonardo’s single was sung by Matt Cardle, the winner of the 2010 season of The X Factor.
The plaintiffs are currently being represented by Richard Busch, the same attorney who represented the Marvin Gaye family during their recent lawsuit over the single ‘Blurred Lines.’
E! News has obtained the court documents, which claim that ‘the songs’ similarities reach the very essence of the work. The similarities go beyond substantial, which is itself sufficient to establish copyright infringement, and are in fact striking.’”
E! News reached out to Sheeran’s team for comment regarding “Thinking Out Loud,” but they’ve yet to respond.
Do you think Sheeran’s chart-topping hit sounds similar to Marvin Gaye’s?
Listen for yourself below:
Ed Sheeran – “Thinking Out Loud”
Marvin Gaye – “Let’s Get It On”
SOURCE: E! News, YouTube | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Ed Sheeran Performing Live At Terminal 5 In NYC (PHOTOS)
1. 1. Ed Sheeran opening for Snow Patrol this past Friday at Terminal 5 in NYC. Photo Credit: Ajon Brodie1 of 5
2. 2. Ed Sheeran opening for Snow Patrol this past Friday at Terminal 5 in NYC. Photo Credit: Ajon Brodie2 of 5
3. 3. Gary Lightbody, lead singer of Snow Patrol, performing live at Terminal 5 this past Friday in NYC. Photo Credit: Ajon Brodie3 of 5
4. 4. Gary Lightbody, lead singer of Snow Patrol, performing live at Terminal 5 this past Friday in NYC. Photo Credit: Ajon Brodie4 of 5
5. 5. Nathan Connolly, lead guitarist of Snow Patrol, performing live at Terminal 5 this past Friday in NYC. Photo Credit: Ajon Brodie5 of 5
Ed Sheeran’s Being Sued For This Song Because It Sounds Too Much Like Marvin Gaye was originally published on globalgrind.com