Ilia Claderon, a Univision reporter of African and Colombian descent, says she at one point feared for her safety during a contentious interview with a North Carolinian grand wizard of the Klu Klux Klan.
Calderón, whose family hails from African and Colombia, sat down for a one-on-one with Chris Barker in July, a leader of the Loyal White Knights segment of the KKK.
When she arrived for the interview, Calderón said that Barker noted her darker complexion and expressed that even though he knew a reporter of color would conduct the interview, Calderón looked different from what he expected. When he found out about her African heritage, he unleashed a barrage of hate speech towards her.
In the first few moments of the interview Barker asked Calderón why she didn’t “go back” to her country.
“We have nothing here in America; ya’ll keep flooding it,” Barker said. “But like God says – like Yahweh himself says – we will chase you out of here.”
“How are you going to do it?” Calderón asks, mentioning that there are at least 11 million immigrants in the United States.
“No, we’re going to burn you out,” Barker says. “We killed 6 million Jews the last time. Eleven million is nothing,” he continued.
Barker completes the segment by calling her the n-word and “asserting” his superiority to Calderón based on the color of his skin.
The interview was released Sunday in the wake of the Charlottesville attacks. Barker and his group were among the thousands of White supremacists who descended upon the town on August 11-12, to protest the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue. One woman died as a result of the gathering, after a man drove his car into a crowd of counter-protesters on August 12.
Watch the disturbing exchange above.
How Rihanna Is More Presidential Than Donald Trump
1. Rihanna Arrives to the Elysee Palace in Paris to meet President Emmanuel Macron1 of 16
2. France's First Lady Brigitte Macron Receives Popstar Rihanna At The Elysee PalaceSource:Getty Images 2 of 16
3. Rihanna at the Elysee PalaceSource:Getty 3 of 16
4. First Lady of France Brigitte Macron and RihannaSource:Getty 4 of 16
5. France's First Lady Brigitte Macron escorts Rihanna inside Elysee PalaceSource:Getty 5 of 16
6. French President Emmanuel Macron and Rihanna6 of 16
7. French President Emmanuel Macron and Rihanna7 of 16
8. Rihanna Talks With The Press Regarding Her Talk With President Macron8 of 16
9. Rihanna with French press9 of 16
10. Rihanna Receives a Humanitarian Award from Harvard University10 of 16
11. Harvard Foundation Honors Rihanna As Humanitarian Of The YearSource:Getty 11 of 16
12. Rihanna Is Good With Kids12 of 16
13. She Shows All Kids Love13 of 16
14. Rihanna Plays With Ashad Khaled14 of 16
15. Rihanna For 202015 of 16
16. Rihanna For President16 of 16
KKK Leader Calls Black Latina Journalist The N-Word, Threatens To ‘Burn You Out’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com