With all the stories about Black people bleaching their skin, arguing over interracial dating and America’s ever-persistent promotion of the angelic (read: white) image in mainstream media, one Egyptian man living in Detroit proves that not everyone is quick to shun his or her blackness.
After emigrating stateside in 1978, Mostafa Hefny (pictured) was shocked when his government-issued identification classified him as “white.” According to the Office of Management and Budget Standards for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity, citizens are designated as White if they have “origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, North Africa or the Middle East.”
This would make sense within the context of Hefny’s native country.
Despite what his papers say though, Hefny calls himself an Egyptian Nubian. He’s even started an online petition at SignOn.org to advance his cause.
We might have to side with Hefny here. Looking at his photo, we’re pretty sure the Detroit Boys In Blue will gladly show him how “white” he really is on any given Friday night.
Find us on Facebook!
- Lunch Break Mix! Tuesday *LUDACRIS BIRTHDAY* Edition 9/11/12
- Chief Keef May Lose Record Deal Over Mocking Rival’s Death
- Teyana Taylor Addresses Lesbian and Virgin Rumors
- Did Chris Brown Get Tattoo of Rihanna on His Neck?
- Happy Birthday 35th Ludacris!!! Luda Celebrates With Floyd Mayweather, Kevin Hart & Other Celebs In ATL!
Egyptian Man Fighting To Be Considered Black By U.S. Government was originally published on newsone.com