A district court judge in Baton Rouge denied on Wednesday a Louisiana state senator’s petition for a temporary restraining order, which would have slowed down Senate efforts to remove him from office over domestic violence incidents, CBS News reports.
Sen. Troy Brown, a Democrat, pleaded no contest in January to misdemeanor domestic abuse battery for biting his wife’s arm. And in September, he also pleaded no contest to misdemeanor simple battery for punching a girlfriend, according to CBS.
Brown, who served jail time in January, told the court that the Senate committee holding hearings on his expulsion has not granted him enough time to organize a proper defense.
CBS said the Committee on Discipline and Expulsion held its first hearing Wednesday. The senators declined nearly all of his lawyer’s request for documents.
The range of documents that Jill Craft, Brown’s attorney, requested included emails and text messages from senators who discussed Brown’s case, as well as the criminal records of current and prior senators over the past decade.
Craft said even though his alleged conduct was “horrible,” Brown is entitled to due process. She also underscored that the senator was charged with misdemeanors–not felonies.
The judge who denied Brown’s temporary restraining order scheduled a Feb. 23 court hearing on the senator’s request for a permanent injunction against the Senate expulsion hearing.
SOURCE: CBS News
Longtime Pennsylvania Rep. Chaka Fattah Resigns From Congress
Good 'Ol Days: Barack Obama Was Nominated For President By The DNC 11 Years Ago
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
Louisiana Lawmaker Fights Senate Expulsion Over Domestic Violence Incidents was originally published on newsone.com