UPDATED at 10:12 p.m. EDT:
Kenneka Jenkins had an extremely high level of alcohol in her system along with one drug used to treat epilepsy before she entered a hotel storage freezer, got hypothermia and froze to death by accident last month, the Cook County medical examiner’s office announced late Friday afternoon. The autopsy and toxicology report indicated that there were no illegal drugs in the teenager’s system. However, the combination of alcohol and the epilepsy drug compounded the effect of one another, the Chicago Tribune reported.
The highly anticipated autopsy report came nearly one month after the 19-year-old was found dead in the Crowne Plaza hotel in Rosemont, Illinois, on September 9.
Jenkins’ mother, Tereasa Martin, has launched a series of protests outside of the hotel. Martin’s lawyers also filed a motion on Friday for the Crowne plaza to preserve al security camera surveillance footage from the fateful night. The teenager’s funeral was held last Saturday in Chicago.
The body of Kenneka Jenkins had no physical evidence of any trauma at all, according to a new report from the Chicago Sun Times on Friday. The revelation put an end to some — but not all – speculation surrounding the case of the Black teenager who was found dead in a walk-in storage freezer in a suburban Chicago hotel nearly one month ago.
Attached to a motion that lawyers for Jenkins’ mother filed Friday were details from an undated “private post mortem examination.” The motion itself was filed to have the Crowne Plaza in Rosemont, Illinois, preserve surveillance footage of Jenkins in the hotel as she made her way to a kitchen area, where the freezer was. Police announced two weeks ago that no footage exists showing Jenkins walking into the freezer on September 9.
Jenkins’ mother, Tereasa Martin, had renewed a protest in front of the Crowne Plaza this week and just days after the teenager’s weekend funeral in Chicago. Martin has alleged there was a “cover up,” though it wasn’t immediately clear who she was blaming – the hotel, law enforcement, or both.
In addition to preserving hotel surveillance footage, the motion requested schedules for hotel employees who were on duty at the time of Jenkins’ death.
The local medical examiner’s office has conducted its own autopsy, but results have not been made public. In addition, the Rosemont Police Department has neither identified a suspect nor a motive for any alleged crime.
An online petition for the FBI to intervene was launched, but Rosemont police announced last month that it would be investigating without the federal agency‘s involvement.
Jenkins was first reported missing by her friends, with whom she was partying at the Crowne Plaza. Hotel staff and police alike declined to search for her immediately, something that Martin says makes them at least partially responsible for the death that she says could have been prevented had there been a higher sense of urgency.
31 Black Women Who Died In Police Custody
1. Kathryn Johnston, 92Source:Getty 1 of 26
2. Tarika Wilson, 26Source:Getty 2 of 26
3. Shereese Francis, 30Source:Getty 3 of 26
4. Shantel Davis, 23Source:Getty 4 of 26
5. Alesia Thomas, 35Source:Getty 5 of 26
6. Malissa Williams, 30Source:Getty 6 of 26
7. Darnesha Harris, 17Source:Getty 7 of 26
8. Shelly Frey, 27Source:Getty 8 of 26
9. Miriam Carey, 34Source:Getty 9 of 26
10. Yvette Smith, 47Source:Getty 10 of 26
11. Michelle Cusseaux, 50Source:Getty 11 of 26
12. Aura Rosser, 40Source:Getty 12 of 26
13. Tanisha Anderson, 37Source:Getty 13 of 26
14. Eleanor Bumpurs, 66Source:Getty 14 of 26
15. Natasha McKenna, 37Source:Getty 15 of 26
16. Janisha Fonville, 20Source:Getty 16 of 26
17. Meagan Hockaday, 26Source:Getty 17 of 26
18. Alexia Christian, 25Source:Getty 18 of 26
19. Sandra Bland, 28Source:Getty 19 of 26
20. Gynnya McMillen, 16Source:Getty 20 of 26
21. Symone Marshall, 22Source:Getty 21 of 26
22. Korryn Gaines, 23Source:Getty 22 of 26
23. Deborah Danner, 66Source:Getty 23 of 26
24. Alteria Woods, 21Source:Getty 24 of 26
25. Charleena Lyles, 30Source:Getty 25 of 26
26. Cariann Denise Hithon, 22Source:Getty 26 of 26
Kenneka Jenkins Cause Of Death Revealed As Mother Files Motion Against Hotel was originally published on newsone.com