“Black Panther” is only a couple of days away from being released in theaters and fans are ready. Recently a petition circled around on Change.org calling on Marvel Studios as well as The Walt Disney Company to give 25% of the profits from the film to the Black community. In an article on Huffington Post they state a user named Chaz Gormley created the petition.
Gormley is calling for profits because the movie directly targets the Black community. The petition says, “Through a clever, well-manufactured marketing campaign Marvel Studios and their parent company The Walt Disney Company have targeted the Black community with their advertisements for the upcoming ‘Black Panther’ film, due to release on February 16, 2018. As marginalized groups have become more vocal, corporations and their savvy public relations departments have turned to catering to these groups – to turn a profit – and this film by Marvel Studios is no different.”
He also mentions that because the film is coming out during Black History Month, the director is Black as well as most of the cast it is only right that the community profits from it. The petition now has over 600 signatures and is using certain hashtags such as #BreakBreadMarvel on social media. Do you agree with this petition?
- Luke Cage’s Showrunner Breaks Down Season 2, Reg E Cathey’s Role & More
- ‘White Civil Rights Rally’ Headed To Washington, D.C. In August
- The Washington Wizards Select Oregon Guard/Forward Troy Brown, Jr.
- New Sprite Cans Feature Logic, MadeinTYO & More [WATCH]
- YouTube Acquires Warren G Doc ‘G-Funk’ ft. Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg & More
- If You’re Indifferent About XXXtentacion’s Death, You’re Not Alone
- Jim Jones Arrested After Car Chase, Caught With Guns & Pills
- Creepy Daddy: Trump Reportedly Wanted Ivanka To Get Breast Implants And Used Her As A ‘Shield’ To Cheat On Melania
- SMH: Airline Exposed For Pulling This Petty Move To Get Passengers Off The Plane
- Online Shopping Just Got More Expensive Thanks To New Supreme Court Ruling