“Black Panther” is only a couple of days away from being released in theaters and fans are ready. Recently a petition circled around on Change.org calling on Marvel Studios as well as The Walt Disney Company to give 25% of the profits from the film to the Black community. In an article on Huffington Post they state a user named Chaz Gormley created the petition.
Gormley is calling for profits because the movie directly targets the Black community. The petition says, “Through a clever, well-manufactured marketing campaign Marvel Studios and their parent company The Walt Disney Company have targeted the Black community with their advertisements for the upcoming ‘Black Panther’ film, due to release on February 16, 2018. As marginalized groups have become more vocal, corporations and their savvy public relations departments have turned to catering to these groups – to turn a profit – and this film by Marvel Studios is no different.”
He also mentions that because the film is coming out during Black History Month, the director is Black as well as most of the cast it is only right that the community profits from it. The petition now has over 600 signatures and is using certain hashtags such as #BreakBreadMarvel on social media. Do you agree with this petition?
- Chris Paul & Rajon Rondo Scuffle, Lakers Defeat Rockets 124-115
- Travis $cott Drops Video For ‘Sicko Mode’ Featuring Drake
- Alicia Keys Gifts Hubby Swizz Beatz With A $150K Aston Martin For His 40th Birthday
- Woman Arrested After Leaving 2-Year-Old Boy On A Stranger’s Doorstep
- Philly Songwriter Nets $44M In Lawsuit Over Usher Song
- Welp! Katt Williams Slams Hazel E As ‘Light Skin And Ugly’
- Hobosexual Hottie: Dave East Admits Good Looks Helped Keep Roof Over His Head
- #IfIWonABillionDollars : Twitter Reacts To Record High Mega Millions
- Marcellus Wiley Says New Book Will Uncover Drake & Kendrick Lamar Beef
- Beyoncé And Jay Z Help Raise $6M For Organization Focused On Cancer Research